Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Bethlehem

Because Bethlehem is in the West Bank, we are only allowed to come here as a group once. So I can't emphasize enough that this was a pretty big day. Interestingly enough, we started off the day not by going to Bethlehem, but by visiting the Herodian. Herod the Great built an enormous palace on a hill you can see from Jerusalem. It was so interesting to be in one of the lavish pleasure palaces and burial place of the King of Judea who was both great and terrible. This man was ruthless and did his best to make everyone dislike him. Then we got to leave the palace behind and travel to Bethlehem. The place where the Savior, the King of Kings, was born in absolute humility.

Next we visited the Church of the Nativity, a church built by the Byzantine Empire on the spot where tradition says that Christ was born of the virgin Mary. The church is extravagantly decorated to worship Him. Everything seems to be plated with gold and deeply perfumed by incense. The church was, as it always is, packed full of people. Our group waited in line for an hour or so to get to the basement where the grotto is where the nativity scene supposedly took place. We waited and squeezed through the crowds for a split-second glance and picture where the manger supposedly stood. Then the anxious crowds pushed me on through. I was struck by two thoughts: (1) I'm impressed by the sheer number of people who traveled from all over the world to come to the Nativity site, and (2) I'm incredibly grateful for quiet, simply beautiful, and beautifully simple chapels where I worship. I appreciated all that the priests there now and in the past were doing to make this a special place, but it was so hard to feel the Spirit when you had elbows in your face, your toes were squashed more than bread dough, and you could practically inhale the anxiety around you. I'm still very glad that we went, but I'm so grateful for the peace found in still moments.

By far, my favorite part was when we all went to a shepherd's field at early twilight. We sat together and had our own Christmas program. We sang Christmas hymns together and read the story of Christ's birth. Angela and I sang "What Child is This?" together. It's one of my favorite songs! The night was was so quiet and calm, in stark contrast to the Church of the Nativity. I loved singing and watching the shepherd tend to his flock below us on the hill with the first, bright star shining brightly above the city of Bethlehem. I was filled with such peace and love for my Redeemer. There is no better way to start off the Christmas season.

https://plus.google.com/photos/104141017599587335952/albums/5934643328339033937/5945075037813670706?pid=5945075037813670706&oid=104141017599587335952

The biggest lesson I learned from Bethlehem is that the Nativity is a beautiful story, but really it is a beginning. It is the start of the Lamb's perfect life that, if followed, will make a world of difference. I look to the birth of Christ and rejoice! And now it's time to smile and start living as he would. I have a mission to perform.

No comments:

Post a Comment