Thursday, November 14, 2013

Jordan

Oh Jordan! So many sites...four full days of touring. I came back completely drained of all energy, but I guess that’s the mark of a good trip, right? I really enjoyed my time in Jordan, and I learned so much. It didn’t exactly hurt that we were treated like someone from Hollywood. When we arrived at our first hotel, I climbed off the bus to quite the welcome. There was a quartet of Jordanian men in traditional dress singing and dancing along the way. We were served divine freshly squeezed juice and bread and oil as the paparazzi caught us walking down the carpet to our hotel. Such a bizarre experience. 

Jerash was one of the biggest sites I think we've been too. It was huge!! In fact, if I remember correctly, it is one if not THE biggest and best preserved ancient Roman city in the world. Could be exaggerating. But hey! It was that big! It had so many of the typical Roman features. I was really able to picture what it would have been like to live in a city during the time of Christ. My favorite part of Jerash, though, might have been my personal tour with my guide Aaron Sharp and my friend Lee Campbell. We discovered the history behind 2000 kilo Otopus' destruction of the city streets, Phil's Awful Falafel and Waffle, and the ancient Air Temple where Avatar Aang drove his air scooter. Definitely made it a memorable experience!

Another one of our stops was at the Jabbok River where Jacob wrestles with an angel in order to receive the blessings and right of the Abrahamic covenant. His obvious determination reminded me of Alma's and Enos' prayers where they labored with forgiveness. It made me reflect on the times when I've really wrestled with God in my life. I can honestly say that I'm so grateful for those moments. They are the greatest teaching moments. We finished off our trip to Jordan by stopping for a little while at the Jordan River. I can't even describe the feelings in my heart as I sat near the river where Jesus was baptized. I know that He is my Redeemer and that He lives again!

Here's the Jordan River:  https://plus.google.com/photos/104141017599587335952/albums/5934643328339033937/5943615987054419154?pid=5943615987054419154&oid=104141017599587335952

No comments:

Post a Comment