Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Musical Adventures

"Where words fail, music speaks." -Hans Christian Andersen.

Anyone who knows me knows that music is a huge part of my life. I can't stress how it has changed my life enough. Though it just about kills me to combine these two things, I will for convenience purposes.

The volunteer music service couple, the Claytons, here at the JC gave us the wonderful opportunity to go to Jerusalem's YMCA to play their Carillon Bell Tower! This magnificent tower has 35 bells that are rarely played except for when we come. It's a shame, but I'm almost glad so that they let amateurs participate. Lauren and I hitched a ride with the Claytons, and we almost missed the chance because of the holiday traffic. Luckily, the tower let us play the next hour instead. We met Sam, Jared, Kelly, and Michael there. We got to strike noon. We took turns practicing a song on a muted, mini bell organ and then teamed up to play for the whole city. The first time I sat down at the bench was maybe just a little terrifying. Mistakes on bells are so loud and painful. But I got to play 3 songs on the bells, and it actually sounded pretty good. I played a song with Kelly (I was so scared I can't even remember what it was), "Fairer" with Jared, and....my absolute favorite...."Sunrise, Sunset" with Sam. We rocked it! I still can't believe that we got to play that song over Jerusalem. Oh what beautiful resonance! So yeah. I can now play three instruments. Voice, piano, and bell tower. 

 
On a more serious note, the entire JC group visited the Augusta Victoria. Short story is that its a German chapel and hospital that all looks like a castle. It was one of the most beautiful chapels I have every been in. It has a magnificent view of the city from the tall tower....I almost died climbing to the top. They asked us if we'd like to sing hymns in the chapel. Our answer: DUH! I volunteered, with the shakiest of knees, to lead a group of 40 in "A Mighty Fortress is Our God" and "I am a Child of God". During the second song, the Holy Ghost witnessed that God sent me here for a purpose. I know that it is no mistake or coincidence that I am here at this time in my life. I've already learned so much. The music was so gorgeous that we waited for the rest of our group to finish touring the chapel and then we pulled them in. They asked me to lead them in "Nearer My God, To Thee". It was so amazing! The acoustics in chapels like these are incredible. The entire room was vibrating with the beautiful sound of worshiping the Lord. Music can move my soul in a way that few things can. I'm so grateful for my experiences here.

No comments:

Post a Comment